Woodruff Print Shop - c. 1824
William Woodruff, a young New Yorker looking for a business opportunity, moved to Arkansas Post in the fall of 1819 to print the territory's first newspaper, the Arkansas Gazette. When Little Rock became the territorial capital in 1821, Woodruff moved his business upriver. Between 1824 and 1827 he lived and worked on the northeast corner of the museum's historic block. Inside the meticulously reconstructed print shop are original Woodruff furnishings and a replica of the Ramage press that he brought to Arkansas by keelboat. Outside, a medicinal herb garden features native and imported plants used by settlers and Native Americans for healing. It is maintained by the Arkansas Chapter of The Herb Society of America. Take a virtual tour!