McVicar House - Late 1840s
James McVicar built this wooden house, using white oak logs and square pegs, on the same block his friend Robert Brownlee built a brick home. Their homes follow the symmetrical 1840s style with a large central hall bordered by two rooms of equal size. It is a sophisticated version of the "double pen" log house seen across Second Street. McVicar was director of the state penitentiary, a Mason, a veteran of the Mexican War and a slaveholder. In 1849 he and Brownlee led the Little Rock-California Company to the California Gold Rush. McVicar later returned to Little Rock and married.