Carte-de-visite of Hot Springs bath houses

Carte-de-visite of Hot Springs bath houses

Artist: Diehl and Kennedy, photographers
Type: Wet plate collodion process on Albumen paper
Year:
Size/Dimensions: H: 2.437", W: 4"
Origin: Loughborough Trust Purchase
Accession Number: 88.12.13

The carte-de-visite, French for calling card view or photograph, was first introduced in France in 1854. Cartes were popular in American until 1866, with the introduction of the cabinet card. They were paper photographs made from a wet-collodion negative which was them print on albumen paper and attached to a small card. Cartes were inexpensive, rarely costing more than twenty-five cents. They were also portable, and most importantly, the images remained durable. As a result of their immense popularity, carte-de-visites are credited with the development of family photographic albums.

Go Back
Carte-de-visite of Hot Springs bath houses