by Jenny Eakin Delony
Oil on Canvas
H: 31”, W: 23.5”
Gift of Irene Delony Morse
Born in Washington, AR, Jenny Delony began her professional training in New York. It was here she became one of the first women to exhibit at the National Academy of Design and became one of its first members. In 1896, she studied in France at the prestigious Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. Her class was the first to have accepted women.
In 1897, she returned to teach and assume to the directorship of the art department of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Later, she moved to New York to pursue her passions: art, suffrage, and feminism. In the 1930s, Jenny Delony settled in Little Rock where she continued her art.